Admission to the Ph.D. program is competitive and contingent upon admission to the Graduate School.
Doctoral students are admitted only in the fall term. Deadline for applications is January 15.
At a minimum, Ph.D. applicants are required to have:
- An undergraduate degree in communication or related field;
- A master's degree in communication or related field, with a 3.5 GPA;
- Strong analytical and writing skills; and
- GRE scores at the 50th percentile for verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing.
- Completed Application;
- GRE Scores (Institution Code: 1898);
- Academic Statement of Purpose;
- Scholarly/academic Writing Sample; and
- Letters of Recommendation.
For more information regarding admissions and the application process, please refer to the Ph.D. Handbook.
Current Wayne State University graduate students
Current graduate students enrolled at Wayne State University do not need to reapply, but need to submit a Change of Graduate Status Form and the required application materials.
Applicants whose undergraduate degree is not from the United States or other English speaking countries are also required to submit official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores to Graduate Admissions.