Our faculty and students serve as a driving creative and intellectual force for the study and dissemination of knowledge about human communication. Through a passionate commitment to Wayne State's urban location and mission, the Department of Communication shapes the future of the communication fields. Our alumni enhance our professional relations with regional, national and international institutions and businesses, adding their valuable contributions to the celebrated cultural richness of Detroit and expanding dynamic networks and partnerships at home and abroad.
Communication graduates become professionals in a variety of positions and environments. Some of Wayne State’s renowned alumni include:
• Edward Christian, president/CEO of Saga Communications, owner and operator of more than 50 broadcasting stations nationwide
• Erika Erickson, reporter, FOX 2 News, Detroit
• Karl Henkel, automotive reporter, The Detroit News
• Casey Kasem, the late, renowned host of America’s Top 40 and in the National Radio Hall of Fame
• Sidney Ribeau, president, Howard University
• David Salzman, executive producer of MADtv and co-owner of Vibe and Spin magazines